Monday, December 1, 2008

The Lovely Long Turkey Day Weekend

I have been crazy-busy at work, which is why I haven't updated here in, what, two weeks? I also haven't been able to keep up on everyone else's blogs because of that, so I apologize and hope to check in more often.

To say that I have been stressed because of the testing I've been doing at work is an understatement; I'm completely overwelmed with numerous conflicting emotions because of it. It's taken its toll on me, and because of that, on my homelife. That's a big no-no in my book. Work should always stay at work. The stress should stay, patiently waiting in my cubicle, until I return the next day. Unfortunately, this is not an ideal world, so the ugly sucker followed me home whenever it could.

Once Wednesday, 3pm, hit though, I said screw it and decided that I would have a good holiday weekend. I would not think about work. I would spend 4 wonderful days with my husband and my little girl. And that's exactly what I did.

We decided on a nice, quiet Thanksgiving at home this year. We had a lot to be thankful for... good health, a wonderful child, an amazing marriage, a lovely new home, both of us employed... we are extremely fortunate. We know that. And we wanted to celebrate that in the one place our lives have really, finally come together. Our new house means so much to us. This holiday, for us, was about the trek getting to this spot.

I made sure to ring my dad up in the AM and wish him a happy thanksgiving. We chatted for a few minutes, Ellie got on the line to say hi, and that was it. I can deal with a relationship like this. I hope it can continue.

I ended up leaving a message for my mom since she must have been hanging out with my aunt and uncle and didn't hear the phone ring. I talked to her a couple of days later, and she had a great thanksgiving, too. She's pretty much moved into her new home down in Florida, and she sounds so excited. I'm happy for her.

Harry went and picked up his mom around 1pm, and I started dinner. We had a nice visit with her (surprise!) and dinner was absolutely perfect. I'm pretty damn proud of myself. We had turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry and apple stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, and crescent rolls. Nothing was particularly difficult to make; it was getting everything cooked and ready to serve all at the same time which was the feat I overcame this past Thursday. I rocked it.

The rest of the weekend was so chill and laid back. I so needed it. We put up outside christmas lights on Friday, which Ellie absolutely loves. She screams, "Lights! Lights!" over and over again whenever they're on. It was warm enough both Friday and Saturday for Ellie to play outside, which is awesome because she hates being cooped up in the house for days on end. We watched lots of Christmas cartoons, I did some shopping, and we ate and ate and ate this entire weekend. It was wonderful.

Now I'm back at work, waiting for the next round of hell to begin. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...