Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I wrote a new poem!

I haven't written a real poem since 2001. I've done some writing exercises during the 10-year hiatus, but nothing substantial has come out them. I've been reading about Frances Mayes's adventures in Tuscany (author of Under The Tuscan Sun) for the past month, and the woman has seriously motivated and inspired me. Frances, you are my muse!

We Will Eat Our Land

I have big plans
Big plans for gardens
With my black thumb
And my bargain bin madness
Spending, spending
Money, money, money.

And it feels so good.

I see Italy in our backyard
A place to visit Nana and Pop
--Today, I wear her earrings.
Or were they my Aunt's?
Now I'll never know.

I feel so close.

I miss them.
I read the countryside
But I don't know it.
The woman in the book
Sees my grandparents everywhere

And I am jealous

Because I want them back.
Maybe they will bless my flowers, my vegetables
Bring the green, green summer
To my family
And me.
We will eat our land.
We will drink red wine
Sitting at the bright blue table
With the yellow accents.

I carry them with me.
The blooms, the colors show me their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...