Thursday, April 20, 2006

When I grow up...

I wanted to be a teacher. I knew that by age 5. All through elementary school I hoped that I would one day have a similar impact on my students as my teachers had on me. No really--I honestly thought that at age 10. I was very mature for a preadolescent. I thought I was anyway.

As I ended junior high, I was veering away from teaching and seriously thinking about becoming an architect. My drafting teacher told me I had a knack for it, and I should consider it as a career. Well, no one had ever encouraged me to that extent before. So freshman year of high school, I started with an art class, thinking about taking more drafting courses when my schedule opened up a bit.

By sophomore year, I gave up on architecture because Clune made me absolutely hate drawing. How sad is that? A teacher made me hate to be creative.

So I went back to the teaching thing, even when I took one of those tests that tell you what field you'd be good in. I was a shoe-in to be an accountant, but how lame and boring is that? I wasn't going to be any crappy accountant!

So I started college, not at the university of my choice (which was Northwestern; I ended up sticking around CT because both of my parents were having health problems). I was taking courses towards a BS in English with certification in Secondary Education.

I went to college part time for the next 6 years or so, only managing to rack up 57 credits. And I also decided that I didn't want to be a teacher. After talking with a friend's father, who was a history teacher at a middle school, I realized that kids today are way too fucked up for me to deal with.

I should have been an accountant. Do you have any idea how much CPAs make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...