Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My kid is weird, and I love that about her

Yesterday was Ellie's 2 year checkup. The best part about this checkup is that there were no vaccine shots! The worst part was... well, there ended up being no worst part. How cool is that?

For this visit she weighed in at 25 lbs, 13 oz (40th percentile) and measured 35.25 inches (85th percentile). Dr. S says she's growing beautifully, and this is the time when little ones start to really slim down (Ellie's a perfect case of that).

Dr. S is just so good with her. She's usually really shy around men, but he got her laughing right away. That's always the way to break the ice with Ellie. He lit up her belly button with the instrument he uses to look in her ear, which she thought was absolutely hysterical. He tickled her, which totally cracked her up. He pretended to eat her toes, which again got her giggling.

In between, he spoke to her and me in a calm, soothing voice, and it put both of us at ease. He really does have a wonderful bedside manner. This was the main reason we decided to have Dr. S be her primary pediatrician within the practice; I still remember how much he helped us when Ellie was in the hospital at 2 months with supposed pneumonia. If it weren't for him, I'd have totally been freaking out. He's also the doc that gave us Teri's name, so we're forever in his debt for that.

During the visit, Ellie was talking and animated and even did her happy dance for Dr. S. I was so glad she gave him the opportunity to see her in action; telling him she can talk is one thing, but her showing him is another thing all together.

She did need to have a finger prick done for a hemocrit/hemoglobin test and lead test, and I was flipping out prior to it. When the nurse came in to do it, I was trying to remain calm but I'm really bad when it comes to blood. I held Ellie in my lap, and when the nurse pushed down on the little cutter they use, I winced while Ellie just stared in wonder. How is this my kid?

The nurse had to take a decent amount of blood for the tests, so she had to squeeze and collect over and over again. I was trying to keep my lunch down as Ellie watched, completely fascinated with the whole ordeal. She seemed amazed that the blood was coming out of her finger. She didn't cry, hell it seemed like it didn't even hurt. The nurse put a bandaid on, and that was it. No fuss at all. I swear Ellie's gonna be a doctor or a nurse when she grows up.

So that was it. Ellie enjoyed her doctor's visit. Like I said, my kid is weird. And I love that about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...