Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Good Stuff

Jen and Cristina both gave us some excellent ideas to help us on our weight loss journey. It boils down to this: instead of looking at all the areas where there are problems, take a look at the good stuff. I'm all for positivity, so I'm game.

Jen suggested we make a list of all the good things in our lives that are helping us reach our goals. You know how I love a good list! So here it is:

Alicia's List of Good Things

1. My daughter. Half of the reason for this journey is Ellie. I couldn't keep up with her. Even at the age of 2, she was lightning quick, a tiny little ball of energy. I couldn't run after her. I couldn't climb onto the playground sets. Something had to change. While pregnant with her, I ate better than I ever have. I hit 227 once again (which was what I weighed at my heaviest during college), but I looked good for a pregnant chick.

I wanted her to be healthy. Strong. So I made sure to eat the best foods. For her. And then I let it go after she was born, and I focused all of my energy on her. I made sure she ate right; why didn't I do it for myself? When I had to buy size 18 jeans because my 16s were getting too tight, that's when it happened. When the scale said 200 again, that's when it happened. What was I teaching her? Do as I say, not as I do? No way. I researched. I learned. I learned from Ellie. She and I now eat a lot of the same foods, though she gets to indulge a little more for the time being. She's at a very good weight for her height. She's very active. She's also got a sweet tooth and loves to watch TV like her mom. It's all about balance.

2. Myself. *I* am the other half of the reason for this journey. I owe it to myself to make that once unattainable goal a reality. To not be overweight? I NEVER thought it could happen. I didn't have enough willpower and energy. I'm so very close to it right now. I'm proving myself wrong. And I love that. I love me.

3. Time for myself. Yes, it sometimes has to be scheduled, but it's still mine. I get an hour and a half during the workday to walk, shop, read, blog, whatever I want within reason. I can even go home for a bit if I choose. Most people don't have this luxury. I'm thankful for it. Once Ellie starts kindergarten, an hour of that will be spent picking her up from school, but I really can't complain. Extra time with her will be wonderful.

4. My newfound love of vegetables. I've come a long way, baby. Special shout out to hummus, for which this may not have been possible.

5. Good friends. 'Nuff said.

6. The ability and the means to eat well and live a comfortable lifestyle. I am thankful that my husband and I both have good jobs with excellent companies. Our employers have good values, are caring and understanding, and give us great benefits. We have health insurance. We can send our daughter to a good preschool. We are able to afford our cute, little, cozy, beautiful home. We both have vehicles to drive. We're able to go out once in a while. We go on vacation every year. I do not, for one moment, take these things for granted. We both work hard, but I know we're still lucky.

7. Our newfound love of gardening and outdoor life in general. A hobby the entire family can enjoy is a good gift.

8. Shopping. I heart shopping. I used to dread it. Nothing ever fit right, so I used to buy something I thought could at least pass for acceptable. Now I have choices, not just which store  I can shop in but styles as well. I can usually find my size now. And it makes me smile. I actually go inot the dressing room now hoping everything won't look good because my pocket can't cover it all.

Cristina's suggestion was to choose a photo or photos that show a part of our body we like. Stop being so down on ourselves about thighs being too big. What's at least one thing we like about the way we look.

Me? I have to say that I love the way I look in a dress.

My waist is pretty small, and I've got lots of curves. I also have a very pretty smile. And my tattoos kick ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...