Monday, September 19, 2005

I demand eye care!

Insurance is a pain in my arse. If you're covered for say, vision, under the plan, and it actually says, "VISION: YES" on your ID card, then wouldn't you think that you were automatically covered for eye exams, glasses, and contacts? Well, not with my insurance carrier.

Harry and I have an appointment next week, but we decided to go in on Saturday to pick out new frames ahead of time. When we got there, the receptionist decided to call our insurance company right then and there so we'd know how much will be covered on our purchases. For some reason, the insurance provider couldn't find me and could only find Harry through the "medical" section of coverage. If vision isn't medical, what is it?

So they called again and spoke to someone else, and this person at least found me (I mean, geez, I'm the freakin' primary on it; how could they find Harry but not me?). Vision coverage still wouldn't come up. What is this horse crap? I checked it myself via their online service, and I got the info in 30 seconds. What's the deal?

So I checked again this morning (the coverage is outlined in black and white, same as it was before), and I called, as well, again receiving the same info via those stupid automated service things. I called my vision place back, and they said I might have one of those weird plans where you have to submit a reimursement form after the fact, which I find strange since Harry had this same insurance 2 years ago, and it went through on its own.

I don't really mind filling out the necessary paperwork and waiting for the money back, but at least give me some kind of heads up that that's what I'll need to do. With all the medical stuff I've had done this year, there's been no problem, but this damn $20 I get towards my eye exam is proving to be the thorn in my side. $1800 for an MRI... SURE! $300 for bloodwork... SURE! $20 to get your eyes checked out... oh, I'm not so sure.

I guess what I'm really ticked off about is the fact that my employers decided to switch insurance carriers for this year to try to save some money. I had a great insurance plan last year. It covered everything, no questions asked. Doctors' offices would see that card, and suddenly, I was royalty. Now they see this new card, shudder at a mere glimpse of it, and banish me in the corner until they can squeeze me in. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. They actually give me a condescending look now due to the insurance I have. "Oh, you have C----, I'm so sorry!" C---- is definitely the red-headed stepchild of the insurance world.

So now I have to see if my inadequate HR department has any reimbursement forms for me to fill out, and possibly see if they know of anyone else in the company who's had this problem. Maybe if we complain enough about the new coverage, they'll get a better provider. After all, the big boys have to use this insurance, too. Maybe after this passed year, even if they don't think their employees need better care, they'll realize their families do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...