Thursday, September 22, 2005

Mabon

Also called Harvest Home or simply Autumn Equinox, this holiday is a ritual of thanksgiving for the fruits of the earth and a recognition of the need to share them to secure the blessings of the Goddess and God during the winter months. from Wikipedia

Sister Spikey Mace wrote about Mabon this morning, as well. Go check out her post; it's an excellent one.

I noticed that the Autumn Equinox was soon approaching via my lovely faerie calendar I have hanging up in my cube, but I felt it coming, as well. It's around this time of the year that I start to sleep in more in the mornings and simply have a sense of loss? depression? longing? wistfulness? (ok, maybe it's not that simple). I just don't feel like I'm all there, ya know? Like a part of me is missing. And I don't know where to look for it.

This feeling eventually goes away as it gets colder. Then Harry and I sit around drinking hot apple cider and cuddling up under our faux fur blanket to veg out in front of the TV. Suddenly, I feel full, no, more than full, like spilling over the brim. I get that feeling of "my cup runeth over" as Thanksgiving and Christmas stroll around.

Yet it's this time now, mid-September to mid-October, that always gets me down. I have no desire to do anything. I wonder where I went to. I get these extremely strong creative urges with no energy surges to play them out. This is the time when I long for the old me, the girl who wrote poetry and painted her fingernails black. The girl who sat in coffee shops, having a smoke and waxing philosophic about why our hearts must break.

Thankfully, this melancholy will be gone soon. For now, since I don't feel like creating, I'll share some lovely creations in celebration of Mabon. I love the google image tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...