Monday, September 17, 2007

Three things I want to remember about Ellie

The first time I got to hold her in the hospital.
I ended up having a C-section, so I didn't actually get to hold her until about 3 hours after she was born. Once she was put into my arms to nurse, I was hooked. She was so tiny, but her eyes were already so unbelievably large and wide-open. We looked at each other, soaking each other in, until she fell asleep.

Playing the "oh" game.
At 5 weeks, Ellie started repeating the sound "oh" after I said it. It was a game to her. We'd do this for 5 minutes at at time. We even got it on video. Not only was it so cute, but it was also when she started to officially smile. Two for the price of one! And even more, she loved an audience. Everyone got to hear her play her special game.

Our time at the ER.
Why in the world would I want to remember something so horrible, you may ask? It was the first time I really went into Mom-mode. Ellie had her first cold at 2 and a 1/2 months, and it got really bad. So bad the doc told us to go to Yale New Haven Childrens' Hospital immediately. Ellie was mis-diagnosed with pneumonia that night. I, fighting off the same cold she had, never left her side. My husband and I slept on the floor of her room, and I checked on her every 15 minutes that entire horrendous night. We were told the next morning that someone had made an error reading her x-ray, and she was good to go home. We couldn't have gotten out of there faster! But I will remember it... for the rest of my life.

There will be many more things to remember in the future, and I look forward to them all. This is the greatest adventure I've ever been on, and I don't want to miss a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...