Friday, October 19, 2007

What my daughter has taught me

Patience - Patience has always been a virtue which I sorely lacked. I was the most impatient person I knew:) Ellie has coaxed and coached me into being an extremely Mellow Mom, and I thank her dearly for it. I've been able to integrate that feeling of "letting it all go" into my every day life. It's wonderful. Now I'M the one who tells others to take it easy.

Take time to play - B.E. (Before Ellie) everything was work, work, work. I have to do this, I have to do that. This HAS to be done now. It CAN'T wait. My life is no longer like that. The laundry has piled up, the kitchen is a mess, the bed needs to be made... all that can WAIT. After dinner, it's playtime. I get down on the ground with Ellie, and we just play. I had forgotten how to do it. I had forgotten what it felt like. It's a de-stresser for sure. And it's like a second childhood. Good times.

Laugh - I love humor. It's what's gotten me through the worst of times. I laugh easily. Ellie has taken this to an all-new level. She's my little comedienne. She feels it's her mission to make me laugh, and I'm happy to oblige.

Physical contact is OK - I'm not a huggy kind of person when it comes to other females. My mom never hugged me, my sisters and I never hugged, and I never initiated hugs with my female friends. I always felt awkward. Ellie has cured me of this. I can't get enough cuddle time with my girl. She curves to my body, and it's like we're one person once again. It's the best therapy ever.

There's so much more I can learn from her, and I plan on paying close attention. I don't want to miss one small lesson at the School of Ellie. She's the best teacher I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...