Friday, August 15, 2008

Night terrors, sleep deprivation hangover, and roller coasters

Ellie woke up at 1am this morning crying, that piercing, I'm-terrified, screaming kind of crying that sends ice through your veins. I went in to check on her, sure that she was just crying in her sleep, which she sometimes does.

Nope, she's wide awake, standing in her crib, waiting for Mommy to make it better. That just broke me heart. I scooped her up, and she clung to my neck for dear life, practically crushing my windpipe and forcing me to struggle to get air. Holy crap.

Ellie's had a few nightmares in the past, but this one must have been a doozy. She wasn't even saying anything, just holding onto me like a life preserver or something. It made me want to weep. I walked her for a few minutes like I used to when she was a wee babe, and it settled her, though she still wouldn't ease up on her grip. I decided that there was no way she'd let me put her back down in her crib like that.

So I brought her back to our bed, and she still wouldn't let go. I tried to hold her next to me, but she crawled up onto me, still wrapping her arms around my neck. So I tried to sleep with her head lodged under my chin (no easy feat) for the next 1/2 hour until she loosened her grip on me enough for me to place her next to me. We slept like that for another 1/2 hour until she started getting chatty. That's the cue to put her back into her crib; the terror had passed.

She put up a small fuss but then fell deeply asleep and stayed that way till morning. How I wish she could have told me what scared her so much.

I woke up this morning with what felt like a wine hangover. Not pleasant. Two Tylenol and a whole lotta coffee helped with that, so I'm in pretty good shape now. Ellie woke up this morning not even remembering last night, thank goodness.

While I had to work today, and Ellie went to daycare as usual, Harry has his company picnic at Lake Compounce. He took Kaylee along with him, happy to have someone to brave the rides with him. Like me, Harry isn't an amusement park kind of person. He's afraid of heights like I am, so we don't really do the rides too well. Harry had mentioned that he'd always been so afraid to ride the wooden roller coaster there as a kid (you wouldn't even be able to get me near that thing), but he was going to attempt it today. Kaylee is an avid roller coaster rider, so she's the perfect person to help Harry overcome his fear. Good luck, Honey!

I don't need to conquer that fear; I'm perfectly fine with keeping it with me the rest of my life, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...