Thursday, December 20, 2007

A new adventure

Co-sleeping.

Last night around 5:30pm, Ellie did something she hasn't done in months. She fell asleep. 2 hours before her bed time. Before she had dinner. And she was resting on Harry.

We let her snooze for 15 minutes or so till dinner was ready. When she woke up, her cheeks felt hot. We checked her temp... normal. So we went about our nightly routine, playing, bath, milk, brush teeth, bed. She seemed OK, just tired.

Around 2am, she woke up crying. The minute I picked her up, I felt the heat coming off her. We checked her temp... 101.3 (rectal). Not too high but enough so she was obviously uncomfortable. Nothing else wrong with her so I'm thinking it's that molar doing its final push through. Poor baby.

So we gave her some Tylenol and teething tablets, and Harry walked her for a few minutes. She fell back asleep quickly.

1/2 an hour later, and she's crying again. Harry goes back in to get her. She's not hot anymore, so that's good. She just wants to be held. Harry sits on the sofa with her and lets her snooze on him for a little while. He tries to put her back in the crib, but she immediately wakes up and starts crying again.

So I told him to bring her into bed with us. And she sleeps peacefully and soundly for the rest of the night.

I, on the other hand, sleep with one eye open, praying the cat doesn't accidentally jump on her. I should have, obviously, kicked the cat out of the room and closed the door, but, well, it was like 3 in the morning. Not at my all-time awareness level at that hour.

I'm a little groggy this morning, but Miss Ellie seems OK. No fever and she ate a good breakfast.

And I must admit, even though I didn't really get a good nights sleep, I liked having her there with us.

We don't plan on making this a habit, but when she's sick, she's more than welcome to cuddle with us through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...