Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pee pee in the pah-tay

I know I've already annouced it everywhere, but I need to write it here for posterity.

Miss Ellie Jane has decided that it's time she started going pee pee in the potty. All on her own. But she'll only do it if she has the room to herself and the door closed. She's so my kid.

For the past 4 months or so, since we bought Ellie's little pink potty, we've been letting her sit on it before bath. This way, she wouldn't be so afraid of it once she started training.

She's had a lot of fun "using" it, acting like a big girl, and occasionally wearing the bucket part like a hat. Yeah, she's a weirdo.

Around the middle of last week, she started kicking us out of her room when she sat on the potty. We thought it was some kind of strange, new game she was concocting. We went along with it, but we kept peeking in to make sure she wasn't peeing on the floor. She'd get annoyed with us for peeking in, and eventually just run to the bath because she got bored with our disruptiveness.

Sunday night, I decided to let her close the door and stay in her room for a bit. She came out on her own, and went to the bath. I went in to check the potty, and holy cow! We have pee. I repeat: we have pee!

We made a huge deal about it, congratulating and praising her for using her potty, let her see us flush it down the toilet, etc. She was quite pleased with herself. Harry, of course, was raring to go buy her some big-girl underwear THAT NIGHT. I didn't think we were quite there yet.

But she surprised us last night with a repeat performance. I must admit I'm a little excited. I don't want to jinx (I totally did not know how to spell that) it, and I certainly don't want to push her, but I'm happy she's decided to try on her own.

And now I've been singing "pee pee in the pah-tay" a la Look Who's Talking 2 for the last two days. When did I become this person?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...