Friday, September 26, 2008

Books and CDs

I am an avid reader and music lover, as most of you know. Nothing makes me happier than a good book and some decent tunes (Well, Ellie makes me happier than both, but that's a given).

I've managed to read quite a few good books lately and hear some really excellent music. So much so that I decided to splurge on myself a little and pick up some new stuff this week.

First, I'll start with the books I've recently read. It all started soon after we moved in, and I finally got back to the library. I read Stephenie Meyer's The Host, which I must say, I surprisingly enjoyed. The storyline seemed a bit hokey when I read the blurb, but in the end, it proved to be an interesting one. This is a purely for-entertainment-only book, my friends; you will not find the meaning of life in it, but it would make one hell of a sci-fi movie.

After that, I read David Sedaris's When You Are Engulfed in Flames. I heart Sedaris. I really do. This book was yet another literary feat. I definitely recommend it.

Next, I read Breaking Dawn, the last installment of the Twilight series. Loved it. I know quite a few Twilight fans gave this one a thumbs down, but not this girl. It was oh-so-good.

After that, I read Ian McEwan's Atonement. This was chosen by my book club. It's not something I would have normally chosen to read, and after getting through 90 or so grueling pages that poured words forth as slow as molasses, I was ready to give up. Luckily, the story picked up soon after that, and I ended up totally enraptured with the wartime parts of the novel. Another good read.

Next, I read Gregory Maguire's Son of a Witch. I was a big fan of Wicked, and I still can't believe I never got around to reading the next installment. Loved it, loved it, loved it. And I hear a 3rd installment is coming about. Hurray!

And now, I've just finished Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner. I had read a bit of his work earlier this year, and I knew I had to read more. His book read like pure poetry. I balled my eyes out quite a few times reading this. It's one of the best books I've read all year. I can't wait to get my hands on A Thousand Splendid Suns. The man is genius.

Now for the books I just bought:

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini. The sci-fi geek in me has been waiting for the third installment to the Inheritence Cycle. I'll probably start reading it tomorrow.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Sure, it's a book for young adults. So what? It's Gaiman, people.

Next up is some good music I've purchased:

Jude's album, Cuba. If you've heard Jude, like No-One-Is-Really-Beautiful-Jude, you will love this album. His sweet voice is mesmerizing once again. And there are no label big bosses telling him what he can and can't put on the recond. This ain't no King of Yesterday.

Regina Spektor - Songs - This album was put out in 2002 I think, way before we'd all ever heard of Ms. Spektor. I can't get enough of this album. Oedipus is probably my favorite track.

Music I've just ordered:

Who Killed Amanda Palmer? by... Amanda Palmer from The Dresden Dolls. Two other artists, Neil Gaiman and Ben Folds, have contributed to this project. I can't wait to have a listen.

Way to Normal - Ben Folds - Ben is a musical genius.

Carnavas - Silversun Pickups - I've been hearing the song Lazy Eye on the radio for months now, and I just found out who sang it (mostly because I couldn't even figure out the name of the damn song!). I gave a quick listen to the rest of the album, and it's so me.

I'll write reviews for all the stuff that coming my way in the mail soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...