Friday, September 12, 2008

Whining about Wine



So y'all remember my post about whether or not I should buy a case of my favorite picnic red to celebrate our new house, right?

In the end, I decided not to fork over nearly $200 because that's the frugal in me. That $200 was definitely needed elsewhere, like the extra cashola we ended up needing for the plumbing and the fence (which we STILL don't have; they claim they're putting it up today. We'll see).

Instead, I opted to go to our local liquor store which is rated one of the best wine stores in the state. I had called ahead of time to see if maybe they carried the one I wanted but alas, that was not the case. The guy on the phone did mention that they had another picnic red from another local vineyard I might like to try. I told him I'd be right down!

I found it exactly where he had described they kept it (along with all the other local wines) and decided to pick up a few others while I was there. I like both white and red, though I'm mainly a red girl. I also grabbed a rasberry wine, a pinot grigio (my fave white), and a merlot. I decided on 4 because my new china cabinet actually has a wine rack that holds, you guessed it, 4 bottles.

I placed the 4 bottles in the rack when I got home, and then, of course, I kinda forgot about them. They sat there for a good month until last evening when I decided, "Hey, I'd like a glass while watching Project Runway."

I broke open the picnic red, managing to accidently knock the bottle over and spilliing a little before I recovered it. Nice. Smooth move, Alicia. I quickly cleaned up, poured myself a glass, and planted myself in front of the TV. I took a sip. Fruity. I took another sip. Sweet. I let Harry take a taste. He's not much of a wine person, but it was palatable to him. I took a third sip. Hmmm. A little too sweet. Fourth sip. Um, juice? Fifth sip? Yeah, definitely juice.

And then... I poured it down the drain! Yeah, I just wasn't feeling it. I hardly ever waste wine, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. Maybe I can make a sangria or something with the rest of it.

I googled it this morning to get the pic to post, and I came across a blog about it. Can you believe the review was almost exactly like mine?

So this wine definitely gets a thumbs down. It's also left me to wonder if I'd like the picnic red I talked about seeing as how my taste has changed over the years. It's been a good 4 years or so since I've had it, back in the day when I loved all things sweet. That's not the case anymore. I don't even put sugar in my coffee nowadays.

I'm still glad I didn't spend the $200, but if I'm up near Litchfield, I might stop in at the vineyard to buy a bottle or two. $30 is much more my speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...