Monday, April 13, 2009

I need a weekend from my weekend

Good Lord but I didn't get a minute of rest these passed two days. Holiday weekends are not all they're cracked up to be. I'll take a boring June Sunday anyday.

I had to work on Friday which sucks. I noticed driving in that the highways and roads were uber light on traffic, which leads me to believe that every workplace but my office got the day off (I may be exaggerating a bit).

I had scheduled an oil change for that morning because Harry had offered to follow me there and drive me to work, then later pick me up on my lunch break to pick the car back up. I took him up on it because trying to get my oil changed on my 1 hour lunch break has totally backfired on me in the past, taking 2 hours and making me extremely late getting back to the office.

Unfortunately, Harry also scheduled 2 deliveries for that day, one the crushed gravel from a local company for our patio and the other Lowe's dropping off the patio pavers and wooden picnic table we ordered last week. He scheduled both for AM delivery, but, well, you all know our luck. The gravel was delivered on time, but the Lowe's delivery guy didn't show up until 3pm.

Which meant Harry couldn't pick me up on my lunch break to go get my car. Which means I was stuck at the office for that hour when I had a bunch of errands to run. I was annoyed, both by the Lowe's delivery guy AND truth be told, by Harry, because I'd asked him to schedule the deliveries on Saturday when we'd both be home. I just think he shouldn't have offered to help me out if he was totally gonna renege. I'm just bitchy like that.

I was getting out of work 2 hours early, so I'd still be able to pick my car up at 3pm. Harry called Lowe's like a million times, and people kept hanging up on him when trying to transfer him to the right department. He finally asked to speak with a manager and was told the manager would call him right back. You guessed it... the manager never called back. Finally, Harry called a different department alltogether, and talked to a woman that assured him the delivery would be made well before 3pm because the driver needed to clock out at 3. When 2:30 hit and there was still no delivery truck, Harry called her back. Naturally, SHE had left for the day at 2.

Around 2:45, Harry woke Ellie up from her nap and packed her into the car to come and get me. He left the receipt with a neighbor in case the delivery came, pulled out of the street, and wouldn't you know... here comes the Lowe's truck! So he turned around, made sure everything was there, then came to get me.

I didnt' know any of this was going on. Instead, at 3pm, I step out of the office to find Harry not there. Hmmm. I don't want to call because I don't want him to answer his phone while driving, but what other choice do I have? He says he's about 10 minutes away, so I stand there waiting in the cold. Fun.

I get my car back, run my errands, then rush home so Harry can start bringing all the patio supplies into the backyard before it rains. He manages to get all the crushed gravel back there (quite a task) just as the first few drops start to fall. We had to leave the pavers in the driveway until the next day. Luckily, it's supposed to be a nice day on Saturday.

WRONG! It rained all day Saturday. All day. And the guy delivering the crushed stone was nice enough to tell us that this crap solidifies into a cement type consistency once it gets wet and dries. I KNEW we should have gotten sand. How are we gonna press the pavers into cement? Lovely. We covered it with a tarp, hoping it would be OK.

Sunday morning, Harry went outside to assess the damage. It was still wet but he was able to loosen it up a bit before it dried. He went to work laying the pavers down in the afternoon, stopping for a couple of hours in order for us to go to my mom's house for Easter dinner.

Get ready for more complaining. It seems to be what I'm best at.

My mom told us dinner would be at 3. This means that I have to wake Ellie up from her nap in order to get there on time. I hate waking her up. The kid enjoys her nap. Luckily, she wasn't cranky, and she even let me put her in her Easter dress with minimal fuss. We made it out of our house by 3:02, and we showed up at Mom's just a few minutes later. By 4pm, dinner still wasn't ready. Yeah.

Ellie was crazy inside Mom's house. It's not babyproofed, so you really need to keep your eye on her. The girls played with her for a bit, which was nice, but eventually, the wanted to watch a movie and didn't want her in there. Lovely. Naturally, that's the only place she wanted to be after that declaration.

The kitchen, which is the central part of the house, is every mother's nightmare. There are knives everywhere, stove burners on, oven on, hot dishes everywhere, etc. The place could give me a heart attack. We couldn't figure the DVD player out (more specifically, Mom's TV is weird, and we couldn't switch it to the correct channel to play the DVD player), there were entirely too many people in a small space, and my kid hadn't eaten since noon because I thought we were having dinner at 3, so I didn't give her a snack. Lord help me.

By the time we sat down to dinner, Ellie wanted no part of it. It was just frustrating and tiring. By the time dessert was put out, we asked for some to go and hightailed it home. Ellie and I chilled inside watching Boo Bears (Care Bears), and Harry tried to finish the patio (it's not quite done - he should finish it tonight - yay!).

Oh, and I forgot. While cleaning the house Sunday morning and getting ready for playdate, my dad showed up completely unannounced. So here I am, dirty and grimy from cleaning, still in my pajamas, when he pulls up. He hands Ellie a chocolate bunny, she thanks him, then she runs away. Harry later tells me she sprinted to the back door and tried to get out of the house, away from the scary man. I kid you not.

Last night, she cried in her sleep. Twice. The second time, I went in there and she was actually awake. She wouldn't talk; she just wanted me to hold her. Harry remembers the last time that happening was the last time she saw my dad. So my dad actually causes toddler nightmare.

Dude, what a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...