Monday, April 20, 2009

Weekend Update

Let's see, Friday night we did the stupidest thing ever. We painted our living room. And we didn't finish until 11pm. Who the hell starts painting at 8pm? Yes, that would be us. Besides being completely tired and drained after a very long workweek, there's also the matter of being able to actually see where you need to paint that makes this a stupid idea. Especially when you're painting the room almost the exact same color, only the new paint has a high gloss finish whereas the original paint is a flat one. It's very difficult to discern between the two with only a 60 watt light bulb to guide you. I noticed a few spots that definitely need touch ups the next morning. Oh, well.

In the end, it still looks awesome and we're still alive, so that's gotta count for something. Some new spice-colored curtains finished the room's new polished look, and I'm a happy woman. Finally, the house is pretty much all painted (with the exception of Ellie's room because we're still not sure what color we want to paint it - it's just white for now). I STILL need to post pictures. I promise I'll get to it sometime this year.

On Saturday morning, an old friend from high school, KP, and her family came by for a visit. We haven't seen each other in almost 10 years! She had moved to Texas during our college years, and well, I just stayed here. The only time I've ever been to Texas was a short stop-over at Dallas/Ft.Worth on the way back from Hawaii. Not exactly the right time for a visit, ya know?

She had mentioned on her blog that she was coming back to CT for her grandmother's 85th birthday this past weekend, and when I mentioned that I'd love for her to stop by and visit, she was all for it. We got to catch up, I got to meet her husband again, I showed off the house, and Ellie and Kristin's two girls got to play for a bit. Even KP got in on the action and totally confiscated one of the swings on our swingset. It was a lot of fun, and I hope to see her again the next time she comes back up this way (or I go to Texas, if that ever happens).

Saturday afternoon, Harry, Ellie, and I went to Chip's for dinner (yes, the famous Chip's, Cristina!) and made a stop at the Christmas Tree Shops for these cool flower pinwheels for the yard. They have these funky solar powered LED lights in them, and they look pretty when you look out at the yard at night. Our neighbors had first picked them up last week and told us where we could find them. I figured this was the go-ahead from them to be big, fat copycats and get some of our own. Heh heh.

While there, we stumbled upon these awesome Monk Chime Windchimes, and both Harry and I said we immediately had to have them. We both love windchimes, and we hadn't picked up a set for the new house yet (we had a set at the old place, but they finally bit the dust right before we moved). These things are huge, like 3 feet long. And the sound is amazing.

So we get them home, and Harry hangs them up in our Magnolia tree on the side of the house. Well, as he's putting them up, they start clanging, and the entire neighborhood sounds like it's surrounded by a monastery or something. I'm like, "OMG, our neighbors are going to hate us!" They were NOT that loud in the store, I swear. I told Harry we had to take them down. I didn't want to be the couple suddenly everybody hated because of our noisy monk windchimes. Harry said he'd ask everyone tomorrow how they felt about them.

Guess what? The chimes are going back. Yeah, only one neighbor actually liked them. Truth be told, they were getting on MY nerves.

Sunday morning, we headed to our local zoo for the first time this season, bought our annual membership, and had a fabulous time walking around in the sunshine and seeing all of the animals. I had gone there last year, and I gotta say, they've really done an amazing job with the zoo in the last 10 months. There were new animals there, all the animals looked well cared for, and it was so clean. There is a possibility that with CT's new budget cuts, the funding from the state that normally goes to the zoo will be one of the things to go. I really hope that's not the case. Buying the annual membership was my contribution to keeping the zoo open. If their funding gets cut, they're hoping for private donations to help cover what they lose. I really don't want the zoo to close down.

Sunday afternoon, we headed up to my friends, Lea and Patrick's, house to check out their new digs and eat some delicious food. Lea's house is awesome. I'm so happy for her and Patrick. And she was so very thoughtful, "babyproofing" the house a bit for Miss Ellie. She really has no idea how much I appreciated the effort. I didn't have to hover over Ellie for the visit, which is an added bonus for me whenever we go anywhere. Ellie LOVED the place, and she wasn't the least bit shy around Lea, and surprisingly, Patrick. She's usually a bit reserved around men other than her daddy.

Patrick cooked for us, we ate and talked and Harry got to check out a Wii system (greeeeaaattt). Of course, he wants one now.

We also got to test out the magic and wonder that is a portable DVD player on the trip up and back from Lea's house. Ellie was mesmerized by her Boo Bears right there in the car with her! Here's hoping it keeps her entertained during our drive to MD on Friday. I have a good feeling.

I also got to chat with my SIL a bit last night. The more I get to know C, the more excited I get about our trip this weekend. I can't wait to meet her, her husband, and her kids. It's gonna be awesome. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...