Monday, October 13, 2008

Batman and scarecrows and pumpkins, oh my!

We got to go see the movie Friday night (and only $4 a ticket!). Harry loved it, me, not so much. It was too long, the Batman voice had me cringing every time he was on screen (sorry Cathy and Jenni!), and... I didn't much care for Ledger's portrayal of The Joker. I know, I know, I'm in the minority on that one.

I think the idea of The Joker they wanted to put forth in the movie was a good one, but I don't think Ledger was the right choice for it. I'm not sure if they intended the character to be older or if it was Ledger's spin on it, acting like an old man through most of the movie, but it didn't feel right. His use of a Nixon-like voice in the beginning baffled me, as did him falling into a Jim Carrey-like deal during the fundraiser scene. The lip-licking, a la Bartie Crouch Jr from Harry Potter, and ticks were an interesting addition to promote the psychopath/sociopath, but again, I didn't much care for the way they were executed.

I LOVED Maggie Gyllenhaal in the movie. I just love Maggie period. Harry's quite smitten with her, too. She's just so darned likable, and she's a hottie.

Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart did a stellar job, too. The movie would have been a total bust for me if it wasn't for them.

Oh, well.
***

On Saturday, I pulled out Ellie's Blue (from Blue's Clues) costume to make sure it fit. It, um, didn't. The bottom half fit just fine, but her torso is so unbelievably long that the neck of the jumper only came up to her armpits. She needed at least another 5 inches of material in order for it to fit. Luckily the store I bought it at allowed me to return it, and we found a super cute Super Girl costume instead. I think the super hero theme is going to be ongoing at our house. Now to think of some more female ones for the years to come.
***

We also went shopping for Hallowe'en decorations since this is the first time we have the opportunity to decorate (my sister always confiscated that right). We got some scarecrows, a bale of hay, and some pumpkins to adorn our front lawn. It's pretty cute.
***

Yesterday, we met up with Kim and Niko at the pumpkin patch so the kids could run around like crazy people and terrorize the gourds awaiting picking. They had lots of fun, Ellie picked out a few pumpkins, we got our apple cider and apple doughnuts that I've been craving since the leaves started to change, and Ellie didn't pitch one fit the whole time. That made it one of the best days ever.

Naturally, I was in a cranky-ass mood most of the day, so nothing's ever perfect. Leave it to me to let every little thing Harry did (wrong) get to me. I hate when that happens. Here's hoping today is a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...