Monday, October 6, 2008

Home Improvement Weekend

Harry and I decided to tackle yet another home improvement this weekend... the kitchen. Among a gazillion other things we want to do, the 3 top items on the list were to take down the ugly backsplash wall that used to be behind the stove, paint all the walls in Bavarian Creme high gloss like the other rooms we've already painted, and to redo the kitchen floor. Mission accomplished.

Harry took the faux wall down and sanded down the sheetrock behind it while Ellie and I were out of the house shopping. It made it a lot easier for him us not being there because he didn't have to sand by hand. He took out the electric sander and kicked up all sorts of nasty dust instead. Unfortunately, he didn't actually cover the dining room furniture or the counters, so I ended up having to clean everything after:(

After patching up the wall where it needed it, Harry taped off the room, which always takes forever and a day but is worth it because of the finished product. To my surprise and delight, he started taping right into the hallway, meaning we could also paint that, too. I had been secretly hoping he'd be cool with getting all that done, too, because it so terribly needed it.

When Ellie went down for her nap, we started painting. I do the roller while harry cuts. That's always how we paint because I suck at cutting and I can't reach the ceiling really, even when I'm on a stool. It ended up only taking us an hour to paint everything. That's got to be some kind of record. And it was the best paint job we've ever done.

On Sunday, Harry decided he was up for doing the kitchen floor. Here's a before:


And here's an after:



I LOVE my new kitchen floor. Love it. It goes so well with all my red kitchen gadgets. And it actually makes the kitchen brighter. Ellie was all over it, too. She ran up to the threshold between the dining room and kitchen and just stared at it, not sure if she wanted to actually step on. Then she bounded onto it and did a little jig. Then she started racing back and forth from the threshold to the window and back. It's got the Ellie stamp of approval.

Last on the major improvement list for the kitchen is new countertops. We really want to go with granite, but out budget doesnt' like that so much. I'm still weighing my options. Anyone have any other recommendations? I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...