Thursday, October 9, 2008

Da na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na... BATMAN!

Not only did my mom email me this morning and ask if I'd like for her to make us dinner tomorrow night (salmon loaf and baked mac and cheese - yes please!), but she also offered to babysit so Harry and I could go out for a few hours. Score!

I immediately checked to see which movies are playing, and wouldn't you know it, a community theatre a couple of towns over is showing The Dark Knight. Yes! The last time Harry and I attempted to go see it, it was sold out. And then we never got another babysitter. We thought we'd have to wait until DVD, which sucks cuz movies like that are always better on the big screen. So I'm a happy girl.

I'm also in a good mood because I get tomorrow off of work, and I get to spend the whole day with Ellie. That always makes me grin like a fool. I'm not sure what we're gonna do, but I'm just happy to be able to get the extra time with her.

***

Oh, and I just finished Brisingr. And, well, it was OK. Just OK. There's entirely too much description, way too much gore (and I'm a die-hard Stephen King fan), and the freakin' trilogy has now become a quadrilogy. Huh? There was supposed to be 3 books to the Inheritance series, and I get near the end of this one, thinking "hey, there's only a few pages left, the villain really still hasn't shown himself, and he's certainly going to rush this last bit". Then I read a few more pages to be hit with a "to be continued in book 4". Not even the last installment, just book 4, which leaves it all open to interpretation. Damn.

I just got sick of all the characters whining and describing every friggin' twig and leaf in the forest over and over again. It's called overkill, Mr. Paolini. Sorry, dude, but you're starting to lose me.

I felt the same way when reading David Edding's The Belgariad series. It just dragged for pages on end. Just get on with it, man.

So that's my review. If you've already read the first two, read it. And then wait another few years for the next installment. And hope it's the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...