Monday, October 27, 2008

Some more movie reviews and my near heart attack

This past week, I finally got to check out 2 movies I've been dying to see: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Ironman. I gotta say, I loved them both!

I'm a big Indiana Jones fan (and a Harrison Ford fan and a Shia LaBeouf fan and a Cate Blanchett fan), so I don't think there was a chance I wouldn't like the movie. Sure, the ending isn't exactly how I would have written it, but I loved it all the same. There were great action sequences, funny lines, and that general "This is an Indiana Jones movie!" feel to it. On top of that, I had been waiting to see the small section in the beginning where they're racing through downtown New Haven because I wanted to see how it was transformed from the Yale area in 2007 to the Yale area 50 years earlier. It looked just gorgeous!

We started watching Ironman Saturday night, and 20 or so minutes in, our power went out due to a wind storm. Nooooo! The power didn't turn on for a couple of hours, so we ended up going to bed early and finished watching last night. Holy crap was that a phenomenal comic book movie. It was so well done. And it made me even happier to see that Jon Favreau directed it once I got to the end credits simply because I think he's wonderful. Robert Downey Jr. was a pleasant surprise, and I really hope to see more of him on the big screen again. The only person I didn't really like in the film was Gwyneth Paltrow, and I'm usually a big fan of hers. Eh.

And speaking of the power outtage Saturday night, I ended up nearly having a heart attack along with it. Earlier in the evening, Ellie and I were in the living room watching Dora while Harry was in our bedroom putting his PJs on. I thought I heard one of the dining room chairs being pulled back, and I assumed it was Harry. He suddenly calls out, still from the bedroom, "Did you make that noise?" Um, nope, wasn't me, thought it was you. Hmmmm. A few minutes later, we hear it again, only this time it sounds more like a dog growling. Weird since we have no dog. I chalk it up to the wind storm possibly pushing our patio furniture or the recycling bin against the house or something. Harry swears it came from the dining room. We wait but don't hear it again.

So the power goes out around 9pm, and we're scrambling around for flashlights and candles. Once we got flashlights in our hands and a candle lit, placing it on the dining room table, I realize the laptop is still plugged in. Before the power comes back on and possibly shorts it out, I go to unplug it and shut it down. As I'm opening the screen, I suddenly hear a very large dog growling to the right of me, right by my ear! I nearly scream, jump out of my skin, and have a massive coronary, all at the same time. As I turn my head, ready to see a Hellhound sitting next to me ready to strike, my brain clicks back on, and I realize it's the wind forcing itself against our picture window. Like blowing on a blade of grass between your fingers, the wind was pushing itself against and finally through the smallest of fissures between the window and the pane where there is a plastic molding that snaps it all into place. Holy geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...