Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Another Recipe - Baked Ziti (8 servings)

So I gave y'all the recipe for the pizza meatloaf muffins. Here's a recipe for the leftover muffins (if there were any). It's super easy and surprisingly delicious.

Preheat over to 375*

Cook 12 oz ziti (I use ziti rigati because the little lines on the pasta hold sauce really well) al dente. While that's cooking up, throw a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes and 3 to 4 chopped up meatloaf muffins in a large skillet. Season with your fave Italian seasoning (I used fresh parsely and oregano this time, but you can also use dried herbs... basil if you like sweet, thyme is a little earthy, etc). Simmer for the 10 minutes or so your ziti is cooking up. Once the ziti is done, drain and immediately add it to the skillet o'stuff. Turn off heat. Mix thoroughly.

Line the bottom of a lasagna pan with a little sauce, then a layer of the skillet o'stuff. Sprinkle 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of skillet o'stuff and another 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Do not cover.

Pop in the over for 20 minutes (the original recipe says 30, but 20 is plenty). Let sit at least 5 minutes once out of the oven so the cheese can cool slightly. Presto! The easiest baked ziti ever.

I thought for sure I wouldn't like this recipe because
1) 1 cup of cheese? Seriously? I usually use 2 for baked ziti.
2) no ricotta? Surely you jest!
3) No sauce, puree, or paste? Hmmm.

I was wrong on all 3 counts. The dish is fantastic and filling. For WW followers, 1 serving is 5 pts. Yep, 5 pts. I can even make this dish on a weekday, that's how quick and easy it is. And it's delish out of the microwave too, which is a bonus. I bring the leftovers for the next few days after for lunch here at work.

Harry can't get enough of it too. He's amazed that so few ingredients can be so flavorful.

And you can always just substitute lean ground beef or turkey for the meatloafs. Before putting the crushed tomatoes in the skillet, heat up a little extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic. Then add the ground beef/turkey and brown. Then add the crushed tomatoes. Easy peasy! I don't know why I just wrote that. I never say "easy peasy".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...