Thursday, December 23, 2010

Reunited and it feels so good

Back in high school, I was a thespian. Yes, a thespian! Complete with jazz hands and jazz shoes and all that jazz (baaaad joke). We were an unusually large group of individuals ranging from band geeks (oh, how I love me a band geek) to artists to writers to football players (for realz yo). Here we are circa 1995:



This is our production of Jesus Christ Superstar done in period dress (weird since Superstar is normally a portrayal of the last 7 days of Christ set in "contemporary times" AKA late 60s/early 70s a la tie-dye, afros, and bell-bottoms). We're all sporting some extremely unflattering togas, and a good majority of us are barefoot. I'm the fat chick in the red shawl, just right of center. The makeup is heavy for stage effect; I swear we didn't normally go around looking like that.

It's been years since some of us have seen each other, 15 years in fact. We've managed to stay in touch through email and facebook, but we haven't had a gathering for a long time. This year I decided to remedy that.

I set up a reunion at a local bar where a couple members still tend. An event was set up on facebook and about 50 people were invited. Alas, the day arrived at the tail end of November, and we had a wonderful turnout:




Friggin' look at us! We're gorgeous! Seriously, we look fabulous for over 30. It was absolutely fantastic seeing everyone. We all had a great time. And now we're hoping to set something up (reoccuring) this summer. I've already offered my house for a shindig, so I'm gonna make it happen. A few people that live out of state said they may be able to make a summer meetup, so that has me super excited, too.

I'm so glad I decided to do this. I never got a high school reunion of any kind, and in the end, it was this group that I really wanted to see. Since we're all from different graduating years, there was no other way we would have ever been at a regular reunion together. This, THIS, made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...