Thursday, July 31, 2008

Settling In

We've managed to unpack the entire main floor of the house. Woo hoo! And it's wonderful, absolutely wonderful. Harry and I even managed to have an hour to sit and watch TV together last night.

We still don't have our new furniture yet, but I'm hoping that will be remedied by the weekend. We're also getting our dishwasher on Saturday (who knew handwashing dishes every evening would take so long?) and we're hoping to have the guys come out to measure for our new kitchen counters next weekend.

As for the fence, we've been calling around for more estimates because the first one was hella high. I can't believe how expensive they can be. We already have fencing 3/4 of the way around the backyard; you'd think the price for just two small sections to the house itself wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Geez.

The neighborhood itself feels really good. We've already met a handful of our neighbors, and they're all very nice. I'm trying to keep all the names straight. I know we have not one but TWO Norm's; what are the odds. There's also a Dave, a Gino, a Ruth, a Donna, and a Josie. Oh, and little Danielle, Jose and Norm's 21 month old granddaughter. Ellie got to meet her on Monday. She'll have a playmate right next door.

We've also been invited to the neighborhood party this coming Saturday. I've never been to one of those before because I always lived on a major street in town. They've got a water slide for the kids and there'll be food all day. We'll definitely bring something and meet as many people as we can for an hour or two. We've already got a lot going on this weekend, so that's all the time we can sacrifice.

I must say that it's all a little much for me to take in; I'm not a very social person where neighbors are concerned. I value my privacy. I value the time I get to spend with Harry and Ellie. Harry's the one that loves to chat over the fence, so he's elated that everyone is up in everybody else's business. I know I should be happy that everyone looks out for everyone else in this new neighborhood, but seeing my neighbor swoop into my yard this morning to put my recycling bin in my breezeway the minute the truck pulled away is a bit Stepford Wives-ish for me. Actually a little more like that X-Files episode Arcadia. A little spooky, but maybe it's just me.

All in all, we're loving the new house. Ellie's getting more and more used to it, and the cat seems to be in heaven. I've never seen her out and about so much. She even hung out in Ellie's room last night for a bit.

My mom, my older sister, and 2 of my nieces should be stopping by tonight, which will be fun. I get to show off the new digs. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...